Sunday, August 24, 2008

Random venting

I have been negligent to the blog. Life has been busy around the Hankins home. School started back with a bang. We made it one day before Noah got puny and missed the next two days of school.

Everyone has enjoyed their teachers. If you don't live in Floyd County you may not know that New Albany Floyd county teachers are working without a contract. Therefore they have decided not to participate in any school activities outside of normal working hours. I am supportive of their cause however it is a little hard to feel like you are involved in your childs class when they have "open house" from 2:30-3:00pm. It is so frustrating to me when these activities are centered during the day. Last year it was the same with the PTO. Meetings are right after school. I very much want to be involved with these things but unfortunately also have to work to support my family. Besides how can parents of 28 kids do anything but say "hello" to the teacher if they expect it to happen in 30 minutes???

On a positive note, somedays I love my job.....other days not so much. Friday was a love day. I was at the hospital making rounds and was looking at a computer when I saw this man waving feverishly at me yelling, "Kristie, Kristie". It was one of my patients who was in the hospital with some non heart related issues. He is a sweetie and told me how much he liked seeing me in the office and how much it meant to him and his wife how I cared for him. It was a super nice way to end my work day. That is why I suffer through the bad days.

Noah started playing flag football last week. It makes mommy a little nervous as it seems to be a little more contact than I anticipated but he likes it.

We went to the Kentucky State Fair Saturday (along with everyone else in town). We had lots of fun looking at the exhibits. Only one minor disaster averted by the quick thinking of the national guard. For any of you who have been there, you saw the big inflatable obstacle course that was there. Maddie managed to get near the top of the big slide and proceed to freak out. She was "rescued" by a soldier.

Like their mommy, Noah and Maddie think "funnel cakes are the best food ever". On the midway, for the low low price of 25 dollars, we bought enough tickets for Paul and Maddie to ride the ferris wheel and the three of them to ride the bumper cars. Oh yes...then after we melted on the no shade anywhere asphalt midway, we had to pay 3.00 for a bottle of water to ward off the impending heat stroke. All in the name of a good time.

Noah got his face painted with a big black spider centered on his forehead and nose and then white spider web all around. He must have been somewhat sensitive to the paint because now he has the outline of the spider on his forehead in redness where it irritated his skin. Normally not a big deal I know, but.... should make for an interesting look for school pictures tomorrow.

Paul started body for life last week. As he says....we threw him in the belly of the beast at the fair but he did awesome. No funnel cakes for dad.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Thank you for reminding me why we didn't go to the fair. She will have a great story to tell about being saved.
Next time get something small painted on the face :-)

Anonymous said...

Your husband sounds like a very dedicated person. What a trooper. You must feel very fortunate to have him in your life. Looking at the pictures on your site, I would have to say he is a HOTTIE. . .